In this article I will be sharing with you the 10 worst African leaders in history. A leader is a person who influences a group of people towards the achievement of a goal. Leaders help themselves and others to do the right things. They set direction, build an inspiring vision, and create something new. A good leader must be able to communicate appropriately and motivate others significantly to forward the mission.
Good governance is gaining ground in Africa these days, but unfortunately it is happening slowly. The continent has seen some of the world’s worst dictators who parade themselves as Presidents. While it is true that African leaders are becoming democratic and are showing more respect for human rights, there are some leaders who have a long way to go before they can be regarded as worthy leaders. Meanwhile, there are some dictators that have caused immense suffering, misery and pain to many people in Africa. So therefore, after a careful study and research I present to you the 10 worst African leaders in history.
1. Sani Abacha – Former President Of Nigeria
Sani Abacha ruled Nigeria from 1993 to 1998. He was the epitome of brutality and was responsible for the imprisonment and executions of many of his opponents. He amassed a fortune from his personal dealings in Nigeria’s oil reserves. He embezzled billions of dollars from the nation’s central bank.
2. Muammar Gaddafi – Former President Of Libya
Although some Africans saw him as King of Kings of Africa, Muammar Gaddafi was an egoist. He ran a police state. Some Libyans call him a lunatic and others call him a hero. His children and immediate relatives had the right to kill without anyone questioning them. He was killed on 20 October 2011.
3. Robert Mugabe – Former President Of Zimbabwe
Robert Mugabe is the president of Zimbabwe since 1987. Many people call him a murderous despot. Over the years, he has arrested and tortured the opposition and squeezed the nation’s economy into negative growth and billion-percent inflation.
4. Omar Al-Bashir – Former President Of Sudan
Omar Al-Bashir is the former president of Sudan. He seized power in 1989 in a bloodless military coup against the government of the democratically elected Prime Minister Sadiq al-Mahdi. Over the years this tyrant has murdered tens of thousands of innocent people in Sudan. He has been declared a war criminal and a wanted criminal by the International Criminal Court.
5. Charles Taylor – Former President Of Liberia
Charles Taylor was the president of Liberia from 1997 to 2003. He was the main cause of the Liberian civil war, which killed many innocent Liberians. He encouraged his followers to use rape as a weapon and cut of the hands of people who opposed him. The warlord was found guilty of all 11 counts of aiding and abetting war crimes and crimes against humanity by Special Court for Sierra Leone.
6. Mobutu Seko – Former President Of Democratic Republic Of Congo
Mobutu Seko was the president of the Democratic Republic of Congo between 1965 and 1997. He killed uncountable number of people during his tenure as president. He murdered opposition leaders in broad daylight. He forced all television stations to start the evening news with an image of him descending through clouds from the heavens.
7. Idi Amin Dada – Former President Of Uganda
Idi Amin Dada was the president of Uganda between 1971 and 1979. He murdered more than 500,000 civilians in Uganda, including foreign investors, opposition leaders and archbishops. He also confirmed to eating human flesh. The man raped almost all the beautiful girls surrounding his palace. He gave himself numerous title including: His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal, Dr. Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and many more.
8. Muhammadu Buhari – Current President Of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari is the current President of Nigeria. He was a former military head of state in Nigeria in the 80s. In 2015, he defeated the incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan and emerge as Nigerian President. He made this list because of the pain and hardship he has cause for Nigerians right now. His leadership has cripple Nigeria making the giant of Africa to become the dwarf of Africa. Nigeria has been reduced to nothing through his leadership.
9. Theodoro Obiang – Former President Of Equatorial Guinea
He ousted his uncle, Francisco Macias Nguema in an August 1979 military coup and has overseen Equatorial Guinea’s emergence as an important oil producer, beginning in the 1990s. Theodoro Obiang Nguema was Chairperson of the African Union from 31st January 2011 to 29th January 2012. He is the second longest serving non-royal national leader in the world.
10. Ahmed Toure – Former President Of Guinea
Ahmed Toure ruled Guinea from 1958 to 1984. He was a corrupt leader who imposed harsh laws on the people. He became infamous for inventing innovative methods of murder. He has been described as the worst President in Africa. During his tenure he made life difficult for the people of Guinea.
- 10 Nollywood Actors Who Are Above 40 Years Old And Still Look Sexy - February 3, 2023
- 10 Nollywood Actresses Who Are Above 40 Years Old And Still Look Sexy - February 3, 2023
- Times of Israel Nominates Nnamdi Kanu For Jewish Nobel Prize - February 2, 2023