Ezekwesili Accuse Tinubu For Been Responsible Of Electoral Violence In Lagos

A former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, has accused the President-elect, Bola Tinubu of being responsible for the violence that marred the Lagos governorship and state assembly elections on Saturday. According to reports from our reliable source, the Lagos gubernatorial election was marred by a high level of violence, voter intimidation, and suppression. Following the violence experienced in some polling units, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had to reschedule the election in the affected places.

In a tweet via her verified Twitter account on Saturday, the former minister expressed concern that violence and intimidation could be a new normal in the Tinubu administration. Ezekwesili, who has served Nigeria in different capacities, is also concerned that Nigerians may witness a more reckless and total disregard for rule of law if Tinubu becomes President.

She wrote; “The mayhem @officialABAT and his criminal enterprise gang unleashed in Lagos today against innocent citizens most especially the Igbos are what he wants to assume the Office of President and scale to the rest of Nigeria in the name of ‘controlling the Center?’ “Tufia! The God of Justice forbids,” she stated.

However, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials at Somolu Local Government Area of Lagos State failed to address the media in the early hours of Sunday as party agents, and observers were barred from the collation centre. Naija News reports that the latest development by the electoral umpire is against the practice of collating results publicly in the interest of fairness to avoid speculations of rigging. According to Daily Trust, the returning officer of the Governorship and House of Assembly Elections took the results from the wards to an inner office where she and some selected persons carried out the exercise.

Journalists and observers who had converged on the collation centre at the end of voting and polling units’ collation on Saturday were denied access to the inner office. However, at about 4:58 am on Sunday, the returning officer alongside police escorts left the INEC LGA office at Somolu with the results and it is unclear if they were heading to the state collation centre at Birrel Avenue, Yaba. An observer, who spoke with the aforementioned publication said, they spent the night outside the INEC office.

He said: “After spending the night outside at the INEC office I was able to get a result snapshot from an official whom I had met in the last presidential election. The person was invited to the inner office,” he stated.

Austine Ikeru
Follow Me

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.